Metal roof condensation is a very common problem in areas of high humidity and temperature variations. Let us understand the term and its prevention methods.
Why does condensation happen to metal roofs?
The air always has some moisture content which varies different levels. When this moisture gets heavy in the air, this heavy air meets the cold surface of metal roofs; it condenses back to water droplets which start getting accumulated on the underside of the metal roof. If you want to know more about roofing material visit https://bprungruang.com/ข้อดี-ข้อเสีย-หลังคา.
Types of metal condensation
There are majorly two types of condensation
Visible condensation: This is shown on surfaces like water, frost, and ice. One can witness it on insulation vapor retarders, cold water pipes, skylights, cooling, etc.
Concealed condensation: A more damaging and challenging form; it occurs when the moisture enters the building’s interior and condenses on surfaces having the temperature at or below the dew point.
The moisture can enter the building due to various reasons like improper vapor retarder selection or its improper installation, improper insulation installation, roof leaks, lack of structural air barrier and finally incorrect water vapor.
Problems arising out of condensation
- Metal surfaces show corrosion: The exposed metal walls and fasteners will oxidize and weaken the inherent structure of a building, and shortening its life.
- It can seriously hamper the effectiveness of insulation.
- It encourages mold and mildew growth which leads to an unpleasant odor as well and can cause health risks.
Ways to reduce and eliminate condensation
- The best way to reduce and eliminate condensation is by maintaining an indoor relative humidity between 30% and 50%. Number of precautionary steps can be taken for it like –
- Insulating the metal building with good Vinyl-backed insulation on the roof and wall of the building is terrific in preventing condensation.
- Using fans inside the house with partially open windows circulates the air and encourages evaporation.
- Proper ventilation also keeps the humidity down.
Follow these steps to prevent condensation on the roof . But It is always advisable to consult a professional to solve the roofing problem.